Monday, September 2, 2013

Oh SO good muffins............and healthy too!


Back to school means stocking the freezer with items for breakfast and lunches to make the morning run smoother.  We have always been a fan of chocolate chip pumpkin muffins but the recipe I used to use had a LOT of sugar and a LOT of oil in it, so I haven't made them for awhile.  I decided it was time to create a healthier alternate.  I combined a few recipes I found online, tweaked things a little more for our liking and came up with this - probably the moistest muffin I've ever made.  Yes, there is still a lot of sugar and oil, but at least they are healthier versions than in my old recipe.






Chocolate Chip Apple-Squash Muffins

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup brown sugar
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup liquid coconut oil
1 1/2 cups pureed steamed squash or canned pumpkin puree
3/4 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line or spray muffin tins.
Stir together dry ingredients.  Make a well in the center and add eggs, applesauce, oil and squash.  Mix until just combined then fold in the chocolate chips.
If using mini muffin tins, bake for 12 min.  If using regular sized, bake for 20 min.
I was able to make 1 dozen large and 3 dozen mini muffins.

note:  I used a butternut squash that I peeled, diced, steamed and pureed while still warm.  I then refrigerated it overnight before using in the recipe.

My kids devoured them so fast I already have to make some more!



No comments:

Post a Comment